Third-grade students will master standards-based language and vocabulary skills through engaging hands-on center activities. Each of the 12 centers focuses on one skill aligned in a format that is accessible and motivating for all types of learners.
These portable language centers help teachers to:
- support kinesthetic and visual learners
- provide differentiated practice of language and vocabulary skills
- offer a quality center activity
- review or reinforce skills
- informally assess a student’s understanding of concepts
The 12 centers cover the following Conventions of Standard English and Vocabulary Acquisition and Use skills:
- Identifying parts of speech in sentences
- Distinguishing between regular and irregular plural nouns and using irregular plural nouns in sentences
- Distinguishing between regular and irregular verbs in sentences
- Using simple verb tenses to form complete sentences
- Forming sentences that have subject-verb agreement
- Forming sentences that have pronoun-antecedent agreement
- Using coordinating conjunctions to complete sentences and forming compound sentences
- Using subordinating conjunctions to complete sentences and forming complex sentences
- Learning common prefixes and suffixes and their meanings and identifying words with the same affixes
- Matching definitions to root words; identifying word roots in words and using the words in context sentences
- Recognizing the relationship between vocabulary and real life
- Distinguishing between the meanings of words used to describe thoughts and feelings
Each easy-to-assemble center provides a hands-on activity with a written practice activity, as well as:
- correlations and targeted skill
- full-color center mats and task cards
- an overview with lesson objectives
- a student direction page that explains the center activity
- a center checklist to record each student’s progress
Use centers to enhance the daily practice in Daily Language Review.
Center activities complement the skills presented in Daily Language Review
to help teachers reinforce and review key language skills in a fun format.
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.