EMC Number: 2871i
Page Count: 160
First-grade students will master standards-based language and vocabulary skills through engaging hands-on center activities. Each of the 13 centers focuses on one skill aligned in a format that is accessible and motivating for all types of learners.
These portable language centers help teachers to:
- support kinesthetic and visual learners
- provide differentiated practice of language and vocabulary skills
- offer a quality center activity
- review or reinforce skills
- informally assess a student’s understanding of concepts
The 13 centers cover the following Conventions of Standard English and Vocabulary Acquisition and Use skills:
- Using nouns to form sentences
- Using the correct verb form to complete a sentence
- Using pronouns to take the place of nouns
- Completing sentences using the correct verb tense
- Using adjectives to describe nouns in sentences
- Using conjunctions to connect words or ideas in sentences
- Matching sentences to picture prompts
- Beginning days of the week, months, and names with a capital letter
- Using correct end punctuation for sentences
- Using context clues to determine the meaning of a word
- Using words with affixes to complete sentences
- Identifying root words which are embedded with inflectional endings
- Matching similar words to complete sentences with new shades of meaning
Each easy-to-assemble center provides a hands-on activity with a written practice activity, as well as:
- correlations and targeted skill
- full-color center mats and task cards
- an overview with lesson objectives
- a student direction page that explains the center activity
- a center checklist to record each student’s progress
Use centers to enhance the daily practice in Daily Language Review.
Center activities complement the skills presented in Daily Language Review
to help teachers reinforce and review key language skills in a fun format.
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.