How it works:
The Smart Start: Read and Write workbook for kindergarteners features weekly lessons, with each week themed according to a specific letter and corresponding animal character. Examples include “Andy the Ant” and “Jackie the Jaguar.” An answer key makes it easy for students to learn how to check their own work.
Every themed unit follows a similar format and includes:
- Alphabet stories: Focus on one letter sound and alphabet character and include an audio read-aloud option.
- Listen for It! activities: Focus on identifying beginning and ending letter sounds.
- Read It! activities: Provide reading practice around the sound of the week and reading simple sentences.
- Let’s Review! activities: This simple review activity helps you evaluate your child’s understanding of each alphabet letter and beginning sound.
- I Know It! activities: Provides review activities that practice beginning and ending sounds, writing letters, and reading simple sentences.
- Beginning and Ending Sound Game! activities: This fun card game helps your child match beginning and ending sounds.
Core subject areas and topics include:
- Writing uppercase and lowercase letters and beginning words
- Identifying beginning and ending sounds
- Visual discrimination
- Following directions
- Fine motor skills
Features and benefits:
- Accelerate your child’s reading progress: 20 easy-to-follow weekly lessons build alphabet awareness and develop reading readiness skills.
- Creative and fun lessons: Keep your child entertained while learning.
- Reward stickers: Motivate your child to complete the activities.
- Audio stories: Provide an option to listen to the audio story with your child.
Walk students through the process of becoming better readers and writers with Evan-Moor’s Smart Start: Read and Write Activity Book for Grade K.
Check out Smart Start: STEM activity books for fun hands-on projects that develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.