Common Core Top Pick for Language and Reading Literature and Informational Text
- Conventions of Standard English
- Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Reading Literature and Informational Text
Skill Sharpeners Reading, Grade 5 provides 12 motivating fiction and nonfiction stories. For example:
- "The Tiger and the Jackals"
- "Old Bragwynn the Pirate"
- "How Shalbus Egbert Bested the Bear "
- "Tracking Tornadoes"
- "Joy Adamson: Living with Lions"
Activity pages include:
- comprehension questions
- a vocabulary exercise for every story
Other skills addressed include the following:
- critical thinking
- interpreting graphic information
- reading with expression,
- analyzing characters
Every Skill Sharpeners workbook now includes a free downloadable Teaching Guide! Skill Sharpeners: Reading Teaching Guides include:
- How to Use directions for teaching reading skills and vocabulary
- Sample pacing guide to complete lessons and activities
- Teaching suggestions for analyzing texts
- Extension activities that include graphic organizers, reading journals, and hands-on activities to help children connect their learning