Skill Sharpeners Reading, Grade 6+ provides 12 motivating fiction and nonfiction stories. For example:
- "Hercules and the Many-Headed Hydra"
- "A Clever Jester Fools a King"
- "The Sausage"
- "The Terra Cotta Warriors: An Army of Clay"
- "Animal Partnerships"
- "Deborah Sampson, Revolutionary Soldier"
Activity pages include:
- comprehension questions
- a vocabulary exercise for every story
Other skills addressed include the following:
- critical thinking
- interpreting graphic information
- using a dictionary
Every Skill Sharpeners workbook now includes a free downloadable Teaching Guide! Skill Sharpeners: Reading Teaching Guides include:
- How to Use directions for teaching reading skills and vocabulary
- Sample pacing guide to complete lessons and activities
- Teaching suggestions for analyzing texts
- Extension activities that include graphic organizers, reading journals, and hands-on activities to help children connect their learning