Help your child thrive academically with the engaging Learning At Home Skill Sharpeners Bundle. The easy-to-use activity books provide valuable skill practice at home and include a parent guide with teaching tips and fun learning activities!
Perfect for children who need additional practice or want to advance their skills, these activity books help children practice important grade-level skills and stay on track while they are learning at home. The colorful and clever activities motivate children to engage with the lesson and become active learners!
Each at-home-learning bundle is aligned to current standards and includes:
Four full-color Skill Sharpeners activity books that practice essential subjects such as math, reading, language, and science. (144 full-color pages each)
- A downloadable parent guide packed with tips and teaching support, including organizing a daily schedule, fun hands-on activity ideas, reading strategies, math models, and suggestions for helping children manage stress and share their feelings. (31 pages)
- Assessment pages to build test-taking skills and confidence.
The Learning at Home Skill Sharpeners Bundle, grade 1, includes:
Skill Sharpeners: Reading, Grade 1
Each unit focuses on a wonderfully illustrated text selection that is followed by a variety of activities to help students practice fluency, comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, structural analysis, phonics, and writing. Skill Sharpeners: Reading, grade 1, provides 14 motivating stories to capture readers’ attention. For example:
- Dad and I
- Who Can Fix It?
- The Missing Mitten
- George Washington’s Barn
Skill Sharpeners: Math, Grade 1
Theme-based math units practice foundational skills! Each unit ends with a “Test Your Skills” activity that gives students a feeling of accomplishment. Designed to practice skills that have already been introduced and mastered, the grade 1 lessons include:
- read numbers to 100
- solve simple word problems
- write numbers to 100
- identify basic shapes
- addition and subtraction facts to 18
- tell time to the hour and half-hour
- identify fractions—1/2, 1/3, 1/4
- read graphs
- identify and continue patterns
- count pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters
- measure to the nearest inch
- two-digit addition and subtraction without regrouping
Skill Sharpeners: Grammar and Punctuation, Grade 1
This visually engaging activity book makes learning grammar and punctuation fun! Each theme-based unit includes reading selections, activities, and word games that will motivate your child to practice and learn essential grammar and punctuation skills. Plus, a Language Handbook provides you with a quick reference of the concepts covered.
The concepts and skills practiced include:
- end punctuation
- use of apostrophes
- use of commas
- use of colons
Skill Sharpeners: Science, Grade 1
Engaging reading selections, activities, and hands-on projects will motivate children to learn science concepts that are based on the most current science standards. The simple hands-on activities help children understand and retain science concepts in a memorable way.
Each lesson includes interesting reading selections and activities that focus on one science concept, covering the following first grade topics:
- Physical Science: Sound, Light, Shadows, Technology
- Life Science: Leaves, Animals and Eggs, Mothers and Babies, Birds, Insects
- Space and Earth Science: Night Sky, Our Sun, Seasons
- Environment and Ecology Science: Uses of Wood, Earth Materials, Recycling
- Engineering and Design: Tools
This Learning at Home Bundle is an ideal supplement for parents to use with their children at home to keep them on track and advance their skills. If you’re interested in a complete homeschooling curriculum, view Evan-Moor’s Homeschool Curriculum Bundles for grades 1–6. The homeschool bundles provide a comprehensive curriculum, covering eight subject areas.