Give your preschooler a strong computer science foundation with Smart Start: Beginning Coding Stories and Activities. Children will learn important coding concepts with engaging stories and practice activities. Based on the K–12 Computer Science Framework, this dynamic early learning series helps children understand coding concepts to develop a strong foundation in computer science, including computational thinking, problem solving, and critical thinking.
Each full-color activity book is organized into eight themed units around one coding concept and includes:
- Coding stories that demonstrate what coders do and include an audio read-aloud feature
- Concept pages that connect coding concepts to real-world situations
- Practice activities that reinforce important coding rules
- Review pages for every coding concept practiced
- Coding projects with print-based games and puzzles
- Mini coding handbook with key terms
Computer science concepts and skills help early learners become critical thinkers by practicing the building blocks of thinking such as:
- Algorithms that design simple steps to solve problems
- Decomposition that shows how to break down complex problems into smaller ones
- Sequencing that demonstrates how the order of things is important
- Pattern recognition that makes connections between similar problems
Programming language concepts such as:
- Debugging that shows how to look for mistakes and correct them
- Loops that can be usedto save time by instructing a computer to repeat an action
Children will also practice a variety of readiness skills such as print awareness, visual discrimination, following directions, and fine-motor skills.
*Includes answer key
Be sure to check out the entire Smart Start series for early learners that includes Math, STEM, Read & Write, and Sight Words activity books!