Meet the phonics needs of your grades 4-6+ struggling readers!
Provide your students with the targeted phonics skills practice they need to become successful readers! Phonics and Word Study for Struggling Readers uses engaging stories and activities rich with spelling/sound patterns and sight words frequently used in reading texts to help students develop fluency and decoding skills.
Turn struggling readers into successful readers with over 200 pages of valuable resources, such as:
- a comprehensive table of contents that lists the exact phonics skills being addressed in each lesson. Target the skills your students need the most help with.
- teacher overview pages that include ideas for introducing and reviewing each phonics skill geared toward the older student.
- pretests that help pinpoint students' strengths and weaknesses so you can differentiate instruction.
- stories and activities with age-appropriate illustrations and themes to keep older students interested and engaged.
- high-frequency word lists that help develop fluency.
Skills practiced include:
- Consonant Sounds
- Long and Short Vowel Sounds and Patterns
- Consonant Variants and Digraphs
- Consonant Blends
- Vowel Digraphs and Other Letter Combinations
- R-Controlled Vowels
- Silent Consonants
- Syllable Patterns
- Plurals and Inflectional Endings
- Possessives and Contractions
- Affixes and Compound Words
Each targeted skill follows all the steps of a pedagogically sound phonics lesson:
A simple explanation of the specific phonics skills, words to read aloud, and a quick activity present concepts in an easy-to-follow format.
Students build on what they've learned by completing a crossword puzzle, solving a riddle, or playing a word game.
A cloze activity presented in a test format reinforces the targeted skills and provides an opportunity for assessment.
An engaging illustrated story provides a meaningful opportunity to read words with the targeted skills in context.
Following the story, students apply their knowledge by answering comprehension and critical thinking questions and completing an oral reading activity.
High-frequency words selected using well-respected Dolch and Fry word lists.
Students' ability to read high-frequency words quickly and accurately is critical to reading with ease and confidence. The 240 high-frequency words used in Phonics and Word Study for Struggling Readers are compiled from the Dolch Basic Sight Vocabulary and Fry's Instant Words lists.
Provide your students with focused and repeated practice with these critical words using the student word lists and word list booklets.
Help your students become successful readers! Order Phonics and Word Study for Struggling Readers today!