How to Write a Story, Grades 4-6 is packed with easy-to-do ideas and dozens of writing forms that help students improve their sentence writing skills.
Part I: Learn the Parts of a Story
- Students learn to identify and develop characters, settings, plots, and conclusions of stories.
- Activities are presented in a scaffolded format; choose those most appropriate for your students.
- Activities include identifying the parts of a story in literature, describing and illustrating the parts of a story, and writing their own story parts.
- At the end of this section, students combine what they have learned and created to write an original story.
Part II: Write a Story Step by Step
- Forms are provided to guide students to write a story step by step.
- From story plan sheets and graphic organizers to a conclusion page, this section makes your job easier!
Part III: Additional Story-Planning Forms
- Forms for an outline, a question and answer list, and a story web provide even more ways for students to plan stories.
Part IV: Write in Different Genres
- After students have mastered the parts of a story and the steps for writing a story, challenge them to write in specific genres!
- Teaching suggestions and guided directions for students are included for realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, adventure, fantasy, and science
Part V: Presentation
- Encourage students’ creativity with reproducible templates to create and illustrate final copies of stories.
Part VI: Writing and Publishing Centers
- The Writing Center contains materials to encourage independent story writing. Story prompt cards, character and setting lists, and charts for writing in specific
genres will cure even the most difficult case of writer’s block.
- The Publishing Center is a place where students can find various materials for the illustrations and covers, as well as the final copy templates in this book.
How to Write a Story fits perfectly if you’re using trait-based writing! When your students use this book, they focus on these important writing skills:
- word choice
- sentence fluency