Engage young children in solving real-world problems with Skill Sharpeners: STEAM. STEAM is an approach to project-based learning that uses science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics to engage children in empathizing, thinking critically, collaborating, and coming up with solutions to solve real-world problems.
Skill Sharpeners: STEAM is where creativity meets academics. Each unit includes a fun hands-on STEAM project that encourages children to enjoy the journey of creating and sharing his or her solution to help create a better world.
Skill Sharpeners: STEAM activity books for preschool are organized around 9 real-world topics related to the environment, the Earth, people and cultures, and social and emotional learning. Topics include themes such as:
- Germs STEAM task: Create a hand-washing song that is 20 seconds long.
- Helping Others STEAM task: Make a plan to help people and animals in your community.
- Sun Safety STEAM task: Build something to give shade to your toys.
- Bullies STEAM task: Write a story and do a puppet show about how bullies hurt others.
- Bees STEAM task: Make a bee nest box to help give bees a safe home.
Each unit includes a grade-appropriate story or nonfiction reading article, a STEAM task to solve, and activities that provide an integrated approach to learning:
- Science: important concepts and vocabulary related to the unit’s theme
- Technology: models about how technology is applied in the real world
- Engineering: examples of engineering solutions in the world
- Art: creative solutions through art projects
- Math: math operations to figure out solutions
Plus, each title includes a:
- Career spotlight that highlights specific careers related to the topic
- Supply list for each STEAM task
- Bonus STEAM puzzle
- Certificate of completion
- Parent guide with teaching tips
- Answer key
Skill Sharpeners: STEAM creates entertaining and fun activities that get children thinking and learning without even realizing it.
Every Skill Sharpeners workbook now includes a free downloadable Teaching Guide! Skill Sharpeners: STEAM Teaching Guides include:
- How to Use directions for approaching STEAM education
- Sample pacing guide to complete lessons and activities
- Teaching suggestions with STEAM rubric and graphic organizers
- Extension activities that include literature suggestions, virtual field trips, and discussion guides to deepen children’s connections and understanding