Build a sense of community and inclusiveness in the classroom with culturally responsive teaching units that connect students’ cultures, languages, and life experiences with their learning.
Creative activities help children reflect on their personal experiences while also learning to consider other viewpoints. The 11 robust units for sixth grade include inspirational stories, journal writing, art projects, creating a dance, writing songs, and more.
These culturally responsive teaching lessons help teachers learn more about their students and connect learning experiences in the classroom to students’ lives. Set your classroom up for learning success with Culturally Responsive Lessons and Activities for grade 6.
Each teacher’s resource book includes 11 units with theme-based activities, plus reproducible student resources.
The eight nonfiction, informational fiction, and realistic fiction story units include:
- Inspirational stories that describe an authentic life experience and help students learn about different perspectives
- Theme-based activities that prompt students to think about their own experiences and consider other viewpoints
- Project menus that allow students to choose from a selection of activities such as interviews, creative writing, art projects, video presentations, and more
The three cultural exploration and self-discovery units include:
- Creative games and activities that invite students to reflect on their own cultures and interactions with the world
- Collaborative whole-class projects that help students consider other viewpoints
Reproducible student resources include:
- “How do I say it?” sentence starter guide
- Student and parent sharing form to build home and school connections.
The theme-based topics for sixth grade include: Let’s Celebrate Who We Are, Food is a Part of Culture, Class Book
144 reproducible pages. Includes answer key.
This is a reproducible resource (photocopying of lessons is permitted) for single classroom or individual home use only.