Help your first graders master key math skills, and provide differentiated math practice through fun, hands-on activities in these 12 centers. Each full-color center focuses on a skill from a math domain, such as numbers and counting, operations, measurement and data, and geometry.
The easy-to-assemble centers are stored in pocket folders, making them easy to use at a table, desk, or quiet area in the classroom. After a teacher or classroom aide models how to use a center, students can complete the activity independently, in pairs, or with the teacher, who may use the task to informally assess a student’s understanding.
Each of the 12 centers includes:
- full-color center mats and task cards
- an overview with lesson objectives
- a student direction page that explains the center activity
- a written practice activity
- a center checklist to record each student’s progress
Take It to Your Seat: Math Centers has been updated to address the new advanced standards and provides:
- an increase in the variety and complexity of activities to practice each skill in alignment with current standards.
- leveled tasks within some centers so that tasks progress in difficulty from level 1 to level 2 or level 3.
- an illustrated math concept or rule for every center to support visual learners and keep the focus on the targeted math concept or skill.
The 12 centers cover the following first grade math skills:
Numbers and Counting
- Sequence numbers within 120
- Know place values in two-digit numbers
- Compare numbers within 100, using greater than, less than, and equal to symbols
- Count by 2s, 5s, and 10s
- Apply the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction in facts to 10
- Add numbers with sums to 20
- Subtract numbers with differences less than 20
Measurement and Data
- Measure length in nonstandard units
- Tell time to the hour and half hour
- Build and read a bar graph
- Identify shapes by the number of sides and corners
- Divide shapes into two or four equal parts
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.