Learning About Animals covers concepts that address National Science Education Standards.
Concepts covered include:
- animals are living things; living things are alike in many ways
- there are many kinds of animals; animals live in different habitats; an animal's body and behaviors help it survive in its environment
- animals are many sizes
- animals are many colors
- animals' bodies have different kinds of coverings
- animals have different types of appendages
- animals find and eat food in different ways
- animals have different methods of self-defense
- animals need air, food, and water; animals depend on plants for food
- animals grow and change; animals look like their parents
A variety of engaging activities present the concepts in ways that young students can understand. Each concept presented includes:
- teacher directions for lessons
- reproducible resource pages such as sets of picture cards, minibooks, and lab sheets to record the results of hands-on investigations
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.