EMC Number: 3322
Page Count: 176
Common Core Top Pick for Reading Literature and Informational Text
Help early and emergent readers build fluency, listening comprehension, and a love of literature!
The delightful headbands in Retelling Tales with Headbands help your young readers get into character while they act out favorite and familiar tales. From The Three Billy Goats Gruff to The Lion and the Mouse, your students will enjoy meaningful, engaging, and fun dramatic play in the retelling of each story. And you'll enjoy all the helpful teaching resources, including a 10-step teaching path for each story, reproducible practice pages, follow-up activities, and more!
You'll love Retelling Tales with Headbands because it:
- comes with 38 headband patterns for 10 different stories. Students explore the feelings and motivations of their favorite characters as they act out each familiar story. By becoming actively involved in the retelling of the story, students are better able to access and understand the literary elements presented within each tale.
- develops a variety of critical listening and speaking skills. Activities such as listening to a reading of the story text, completing paper-and-pencil activities on character and plot, and discussing character motivations take advantage of the four language domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing to help students build a deeper understanding of each story.
- provides practice in character recognition, sequencing, and literary response. Each tale comes with three paper-and-pencil activity pages that help support comprehension and explore the literary concepts in each story.
- contains teacher resources to help you organize each lesson and performance with ease. Teaching suggestions offer a step-by-step approach to introducing stories, helping students understand them, and engaging students in the practice, performance, and related activities that go along with each tale.
- is correlated to state standards. Activities presented address language arts content standards such as retelling a familiar tale, understanding main events, sequencing events in a story, making predictions, comparing and contrasting, and more!
Retelling Tales with Headbands comes with everything you need to lead students through successful dramatic play activities.
Ten delightful stories to share with students
Each tale has been rewritten in simple but exciting prose, incorporating repetition, rhyme, and appropriate vocabulary in short, easy-to-follow paragraphs.
- The Lion and the Mouse
- Cowboy Hats for Sale
- The Tortoise and the Hare
- The Little Red Hen
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- The Three Little Pigs
- Jack and the Beanstalk
- Chicken Licken
- The Gingerbread Man
Each story above comes with:
- Teaching Guidelines
Teaching suggestions for each tale are presented in ten easy-to-follow steps.
- Character Recognition Activities
A reproducible activity uses matching or tracing to help introduce students to each character. Then, one or two simple questions further support character recognition and identification.
- Sequencing Practice
A second reproducible activity sheet helps students follow along as you read the story aloud using five illustrations from the tale. Pictures can also be used to help reinforce the concepts of beginning, middle, and end.
- Follow-Up Activities
Students practice listening and following simple directions while they identify characters, trace letters, draw, and color pictures.
- Headband Patterns
Reproducible patterns for each story's main characters are included for students to color, cut out, and assemble into fun headbands.
Teaching guidelines for each tale are presented in ten easy-to-follow steps. The first six steps focus on comprehension and literary analysis, while the next four help you set the stage for dramatic play.
- Build Background
- Read the Story
- Reread the Story
- Talk About the Story
- Make Headbands
- Read Other Versions of the Story
- Assign Roles and Practice Actions
- Set Up Scenery and Props
- Retell the Story
- Invite an Audience
Engage your students in meaningful oral fluency and listening comprehension practice—use Retelling Tales with Headbands with your class today!
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.