Table of Contents
Support your fourth graders in close reading discussions of nonfiction and fiction texts.
Each unit contains two related reading selections that reflect fourth-grade science and social studies topics and are focused around an essential question. For example, How do we make use of natural resources? (essential question) connects “The Amazing Silkworm” (a nonfiction article) and “The Value of a Scrap” (a fictional story).
The activities in each unit help students:
· Learn and apply academic vocabulary in context
· Participate in oral close reading discussions
· Answer comprehension questions
· Write to a prompt with the help of a graphic organizer
This resource includes:
· Eight robust units that include a unit assessment with discussion of the topic, texts, and essential question, as well as a writing prompt.
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects that extend learning at home.
· Correlations for every unit for easy reference.
Plus, the suggested learning path is easy to scaffold!