Table of Contents
Support your second-grade students in close reading discussions of nonfiction and fiction texts with practice that supports Common Core methodology.
Each unit contains two related reading selections that reflect second-grade science and social studies topics and are focused around a Big Question. For example, Does a magnet stick to all shiny things? (Big Question) connects “What Will a Magnet Attract?” (a nonfiction article) and “Magnificent Magnets” (a fictional story).
The activities in each unit help students:
· Learn and apply academic vocabulary in context
· Participate in oral close reading discussions
· Answer comprehension questions
· Write to a prompt with the help of a graphic organizer
This resource includes:
· Eight robust units that include a unit assessment with discussion of the topic, texts, and Big Question, as well as a writing prompt.
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects that extend learning at home.
· Common Core correlations for every unit for easy reference.
Plus, the suggested learning path is easy to scaffold!