Table of Contents
Support your first-grade students in close reading of nonfiction and fiction texts.
Each unit contains two related reading selections in a minibook format. The themes reflect first-grade science and social studies topics and are focused around a Big Question. For example, Can I live without my bones? (Big Question) connects “How Bones Work” (a nonfiction article) and “Jacob’s Bones” (a fictional story).
The activities in each unit help students:
· Learn and apply academic vocabulary in context
· Participate in oral close reading discussions
· Answer comprehension questions
· Write to a prompt with the help of a graphic organizer
This resource includes:
· Seven robust units that include a unit assessment with discussion of the topic, texts, and Big Question, as well as a writing prompt.
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects that extend learning at home
· Correlations for every unit for easy reference.
· Minibooks of each reading selection.
Plus, the suggested learning path is easy to scaffold!