Phonemic Awareness is a valuable resource that provides 34 week-long units, each focusing on a chant, poem, or language game. The lessons increase in difficulty, moving through the five levels of phonemic awareness and finally to letter-sound association.
Each lesson is labeled to indicate the phonemic awareness level being addressed. Information for the teacher describes the five levels and defines phonemic awareness.
The week-long units follow a consistent three-page structure:
- page 1: the illustrated rhyme or chant
- page 2: teaching ideas - a mini-lesson for every day of the week
- page 3: a reproducible or patterns to use with the activities
- alphabet cards
- two-page student inventory to assess phonemic awareness level
- fun, instructive illustrations