EMC Number: 3072i
Page Count: 160
Common Core Top Pick for Math
- Measurement and Data
- Numbers and Operations in Base 10
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking
View all Common Core Top Picks for Math
Standard e-books have the same content as the print version, but allow you to print out just what you need, project pages on a whiteboard or other surface, search for key words, enlarge or adjust the text, and more.
Help your second graders master key math skills, and provide differentiated math practice through fun, hands-on activities in these 12 centers. Each full-color center focuses on a skill from a Common Core State Standards math domain, such as numbers and counting, operations, measurement and data, and geometry.
The easy-to-assemble centers are stored in pocket folders, making them easy to use at a table, desk, or quiet area in the classroom. After a teacher or classroom aide models how to use a center, students can complete the activity independently, in pairs, or with the teacher, who may use the task to informally assess a student’s understanding.
Each of the 12 centers includes:
- full-color center mats and task cards
- an overview with lesson objectives
- a student direction page that explains the center activity
- a response form or written practice activity
- a center checklist to record each student’s progress
- an increase in the variety and complexity of activities to practice each skill in alignment with Common Core State Standards.
- leveled tasks within some centers so that tasks progress in difficulty from level 1 to level 2.
- an illustrated math concept or rule for every center to support visual learners and keep the focus on the targeted math concept or skill.
Numbers and Counting
- Count, write, and sequence numbers within 1,000
- Know place values in three-digit numbers
- Compare numbers within 1,000, using greater than, less than, and
- Count by 5s, 10s, and 100s
- Build fluency with addition and subtraction facts to 20
- Know related addition and subtraction facts within 20
- Use place value to add and subtract
- Measure length in nonstandard units (inches and centimeters)
- Solve word problems, using coins and bills from one cent to one dollar
- Tell time to the nearest 5 minutes (analog and digital)
- Read and use data on bar graphs and picture graphs
- Identify fractional parts (1/2, 1/3, 1/4) of shapes with 3 to 6 sides
The purpose of this paper is to provide evidence from research studies that support frequent, focused practice as an effective strategy for teaching elementary school children mathematics skills. This paper reviews Daily Math Practice and Daily Word Problems in this context.