Shop by Topic
Shop by GradeShop by Topic
- Teacher Resources
- Social Studies
Shop by GradeShop by Topic
- Reading Foundations
- Daily Practice
- Common Core
EMC Number: 205
Page Count: 64
Common Core Top Pick for Language and Writing
- Conventions of Standard English
- Text Types and Purposes
See why 'Write a Super Sentence' has been a teacher's favorite for years!
Help your students strengthen their sentence-writing skills. Step-by-step directions guide students through the process of writing who, what, where, and when words and phrases. Students tap into their creative side in order to brainstorm articles, adjectives, nouns, adverbs, and verbs that make their sentences shine.
You'll love Write a Super Sentence because it:
- supports 6-Trait writing. Activities are designed to build skills in each trait -- ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and conventions. And a trait-based writing guide at the beginning of the book makes it easy to see exactly which skills are being developed.
- comes with 2 ready-to-use transparencies. Providing writing models and guiding group work is a breeze with two Super Sentence Organizer transparencies -- one for beginning writers and one for more advanced students.
- includes materials to create a writing center. Multiple activities in fun formats provide independent practice to support your students' varied abilities.
- inspires reluctant writers. Motivating topics and delightful illustrations make writing fun!
- is correlated to state standards.
15 guided lessons help students learn a pattern for writing more compelling sentences:
Step 1: Brainstorming
Students start with a simple sentence then brainstorm ideas for adding who, what, where, and when words and phrases, as well as describing words. A transparency of the super sentence organizer helps you lead the class.
Step 2: Oral Sentences
As students add more details to their sentences, they practice reading their new super sentences aloud. While trying out different combinations of descriptive words and phrases, students become actively involved in the writing process and gain a better understanding of the parts of a sentence.
Step 3: Sentence Writing
Now that they're full of ideas, students can begin to write their own sentences. Writing forms with fun illustrations motivate students to form super sentences. They can piece together the words and phrases from the brainstorming activity, or come up with words and phrases of their own.
Step 4: Proof and Correct
Students are encouraged to self-edit by reading their work aloud.
The Super Sentence writing center includes:
- sentence wheels
- pull-through sentences
- practice worksheets
Give your students the practice they need to become strong writers! Use Write a Super Sentence with your class today!
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.
At Evan-Moor, we strive to produce educational materials that are aligned with current standards and best educational practices—and with student interests and motivations. We pride ourselves on our ability to create products that not only build and reinforce basic and complex skills, but that develop a curiosity about the subjects in which those skills are taught.Learn More
Copyright © 2017, Evan-Moor Corporation. All rights reserved.