Real-world writing happens when there is a reason to write. Help students explore real-world purposes for writing with activities that demonstrate thoughtful and effective writing strategies.
The real-world topics are designed to fit seamlessly into any writing program and include letters, journal entries, product opinions, advertisements, directions, interviews, and more!
Units are designed to fit into a weekly lesson plan and include:
- A teacher overview page that describes the purpose of the format and how to introduce it
- A writing sample to model each skill
- A graphic organizer to organize and plan prewriting
- Two writing tasks with a response pages to practice each format
- An extension activity that prompts students to relate the writing to their own lives
Each unit includes four unique and scaffolded writing assignments for beginning writers and more experienced writers. The 24 writing units within each book focus on six common writing purposes:
Two assessment rubrics for formal and informal writing are included to help students remember effective writing strategies.
Some writing topics for grades 1-2 include:
- Friendly letter
- Thank-you note
- Food opinion
- Family interview
- Internet search
Answers will vary
*Enjoy the early release of this resource in an e-book format! The print version will be available in January 2022.*